Secondhand News

Friday, August 28, 2009

August 28, 2009

I apologize for not keeping up with my posts. It's been a very busy week. Mom continues to take her treatments and is doing well; although, she has been really worn out which is one of the side effects of the radiation. We were sitting together on the swing yesterday evening and noticed that her hair is beginning to fall out around the radiation site. She's also experiencing some discomfort there, as well. After Dad went to work and we had dinner, Mom and I went for a walk with Axle in search of caterpillars. With school being back in session, many Science lessons begin in the fall with the metamorphosis of caterpillars into butterflies. After unsuccessfully search around our house we decided to take a drive. It was an interesting adventure, as we took off just after 8:00. It soon became dark and there we were, with our flashlight driving down a dirt road in search of monarch caterpillars. She was on the lookout for milkweed and when she'd see it, I'd slow down and shine the flashlight. We were able to locate four and I took them to school today. I hope spotlighting caterpillars isn't illegal.

Today was her thirteenth of thirty treatments, so we're nearly halfway there! Thank you to all of you who have volunteered to take Mom to her appointments and treatments. Also, thank you to all of you who continue to show your concern and generosity by preparing meals, mailing cards, sending flowers and gifts. We have been very blessed by good friends and good food!

On a daily basis I am asked several times how Mom is doing. As I provide updates I always tell about her positive attitude to which people respond, "I think that's half the battle." Isn't that half the battle with anything we struggle with. Throughout this whole ordeal I've been made aware of how blessed we truly are each and every day. With all these blessings, why shouldn't we have a positive attitude. With the beginning of a new school year, and a new perspective, I've seen how a positive attitude can be contagious to an entire group of people. Our county and my school are under new administration and each teacher has a new group of students and parents. The environment has been dramatically different, at least from where I'm standing, and I see how each person plays an integral part in the overall attitude of the school. Teachers have the fortunate opportunity to get a fresh start each fall with new students, but there is no reason that each and every one of us can't wake up each morning to a fresh start. God has blessed us with a new opportunity and a beautiful day! Mahatma Gandhi said, "Be the change you want to see in the world." Here's your opportunity for a fresh start. Have a positive outlook on life and know that your attitude, positive or negative, can be contagious. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how far a little kindness will go. And just like the caterpillars, sometimes change can be a beautiful thing!

2 Comments:

  • Nicely said...but the one caterpiller I saw in your room today isn't a Monarch...so you have a surprise coming.

    By Blogger Donna, At 5:49 PM  

  • I took the Monarchs to Angie's room and I have the miscellaneous types in my room.

    By Blogger Misty, At 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home