Secondhand News

Friday, March 28, 2008

Ribbon Organization

I'm always searching for more efficient ways to operate and I stumbled upon a great way to keep my ribbons neatly stored.  I regularly browse the fishing aisle in Walmart because of the neat little storage containers they have.  One lucky day I noticed an opaque plastic tackle box that was perfect for ribbon!  It was probably around $2, so I bought a couple.  I had previously unsuccessfully tried storing ribbon the cardboard floss cards and putting them in snack size ziploc bags on a metal ring, but it was too messy and the bags were prone to ripping off the ring.  Having hundreds of the cardboards cards already with my ribbon on them, this tackle box was ideal! 
These handy cards are found in the stitchery section of Walmart and Michaels.  You generally get about 100 per package and they are around $1.  As you may have anticipated, the unspooling and re-carding takes a bit of time, but I did it while watching tv or when I was stumped for inspiration.  With that finished, the ribbon fit rather nicely in the sections of the box.  
Each box will easily hold 100 spools of ribbon.  For ribbons that were longer than a yard, I rolled without a card and they fit much better.  Others I cut into 1 yd. sections to put on the cards.  I now have 5 of these boxes and I love how portable and neat my ribbons are.  The boxes are opaque and you can easily see through the top or sides to make selections easy.  The boxes also stack and store nicely on a shelf or in a drawer.

2 Comments:

  • love it! I hate spending money on storage boxes, so $2 boxes works for me!

    By Blogger DeannaHurley, At 9:16 AM  

  • I think this idea is excellent! Hope that I can find some of these boxes here in Bali.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home