Secondhand News

Saturday, January 01, 2011

January 1, 2011

1-1-11! The fresh start to a new year. It is difficult to "celebrate" a new year when I know what is forthcoming. Things are getting more and more difficult for Mom. She has become more restless and isn't able to sleep as well as she once did. She is getting weaker and in recent days has had greater difficulty swallowing-- liquids, food, and her pills. Her breathing is becoming more labored and at times she will take a sudden gasp for air. She is entirely dependent on us for everything, although she prefers to have Dad do most things. It is a slow deterioration, but evident just the same. I think each of us is slowing coming to terms with everything and dealing with it in our own ways.

On Tuesday we were surprised by a visit from Mom's sister and brother-in-law, Aunt Bev and Uncle Mike. I'm glad they were able to make one more visit from Chicago. I'm sure it meant a lot to Mom and I know it meant a lot to us, as well. I didn't have the opportunity to know them really well as I was growing up because they lived so far away. In the recent months since Mom's diagnosis I've been able to see how many physical characteristics Mom and Aunt Bev share.

We have had visitors nearly every day for the past couple weeks and it has been such a blessing. We are very grateful for those of you who take the time to stop by and visit. That is more valuable at this time than anything else. As this new year is upon us, resolve to be thankful for the many blessings that God has given you instead of wishing for things you don't have. In the words of Charles Dickens, "Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many; not upon your past misfortunes of which all men have some." Wishing you all a safe and blessed 2011!

2 Comments:

  • Hope you are feeling better your own self! Praying peace and patience for you and your family. Love you!

    By Blogger Donna, At 10:10 PM  

  • Im looking for Stevie Bayles. I am Teresa Mauldin. I miss her very much and I would just like to see if you can put her in touch with me. Thank you for your time. And, I am sorry to hear about your Mom. But your words are very true and may they bring you comfort in your trying times. ((teresag1368@aol.com))

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home