Secondhand News

Sunday, December 26, 2010

December 26, 2010

Christmas was an emotional experience this year. It was difficult to do shopping and with Mom unable to do all that she normally does for Christmas it just wasn't the same. I'm glad we had just one more Christmas to spend together as a family, but it was hard to "celebrate" when we're all so very aware of what is to come in the days ahead. It's just a reminder at how precious life really is and how quickly the life we have and take for granted can change.

It makes my heart sad to remember past Christmases with Mom and then to see how we spent this Christmas, with her in a hospital bed, eyes covered with a washcloth, sleeping though the exchanging of gifts. Mom loved Christmas and loved to see the excitement of everyone when they opened the gifts that she'd so carefully selected for each of us. It would not be uncommon to find gifts she'd bought months in advance and hidden away, eagerly anticipating the arrival of this Christmas. Maybe that will be her way of continuing to share Christmas after she's gone.

I can't even imagine the thoughts that must be going through her mind, as she's very much aware of what's going on. How scary and sad it must be. Fortunately, we all know that in these final days she can have a peace in what lies ahead. We all know where her eternity will be spent and that someday because of His perfect plan we can also have that same peace in knowing that we control where our eternity will be spent. It brings peace and comfort to know Him and know that Mom knows Him, as well. Mom has lived her life as such a wonderful example of what a Christian is supposed to be. She let her actions speak louder than her words. What a great example to aspire to be like. I will forever cherish the lessons she's taught, most often demonstrating her love of God through her service to others. Isn't that what it's really all about? Serving others? I hope that her life has ignited a desire in all who know her to embrace the spirit of Christ in service to one another.

6 Comments:

  • My mom saw the angels waiting for her sometimes. She got a great smile, but was sad for us that we couldn't see them. But, it made us smile to know that she knew the next step...
    Your mother is a wonderful example of God's love on earth. Even today.

    By Blogger Donna, At 9:23 AM  

  • I am sitting here crying just thinking about all the good times your Mom and I have had. She definately is a special and wonderful person. She never gossiped about anyone. She always had something good to say and was always there to help whomever she could. I think of the years we worked together at Albright Elem. School. I think Susie, Phyllis and I were the three amigas. Everything we did was to benifit the kids but "we" had fun doing it. I cherish those days.
    I loved stamping and scrapbooking with her. We had fun at the ballgames. I know she loves the Lord and she showed us all in many ways. She is a very special friend that I will always cherish. I am so happy that your family is so close. You can enjoy each other and have fun and help each other through the bad times.
    Your family is very special to me. If there is anything I can every do for you, PLEASE let me know. Love You all, Debbie

    By Blogger Jennifer Wolfe, At 10:12 AM  

  • I am so blessed to have known your mom. I am a much better person because of her. I am also blessed to know you - you have many of your mom's wonderful characteristics. You are able to show, through your actions, what a wonderful person your mom was, because she passed these characteristics onto you.

    By Blogger rellimnosilla, At 8:39 PM  

  • I missed knowing Susi for several years. Then she came back into my life when I lost my Mother. Susi has been such a trooper through all this. She is such an inspiration to me. You Misti have been such a wonderful daughter. I admire you for the love and care that you have for your Mother. God has blessed your family with such a wonderful Mother.

    I wish that I lived closer so that I could have spent more time with Susi.

    Dad loved Susi so much. He always wanted to know how she was doing.

    Our families used to be so close until we all went our separate ways.

    I wish I could be there to spend time with you guys. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Carol Slaton

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:57 AM  

  • i have been so blessed to know your family. susi is such a strong and inspiring Christian; she truly embodies the love of Christ. love you guys and am praying for you.

    By Anonymous Brandy, At 8:14 PM  

  • Misty, Your dear Mom has fought the good fight and has ran her race with endurance! What an example she has been of what a Christian looks like in times of trial!She has fixed her eyes on Christ and rested in His perfect will in her life!Our hearts will ache to say goodbye but we WILL rejoice that she will see her Lord and Saviour face to face! Susi, when you hear Him call your name,RUN into HIS arms and hear "Well done, my good and faithful servant!"

    By Blogger Phyllis, At 7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home